Saturday 17 September 2011

Day Seven... The last one!

I can't say I'm not glad today has finally come! Its been a tough one, especially when I have been sitting at my computer non-stop the past few days working on assignments... all I wanted was study snacks!!

But despite my struggles its been an amazing experience and my eyes have really been opened to how much food is inter-woven throughout our lifestyles and culture. I was thinking about it the other day, all this week I have barely seen anyone and I wondered why (aside from the fact that I have a tonne of work to be doing). When you think about it, our social lives often pivot around consuming food or beverages.. you meet up with friends for a coffee or a wine, or go out for desert- take food out of the picture and its sad to admit but what can you do when its cold outside? Not a lot.

I've been forced to practice a lot of patience this week as I have been around people that haven't been doing this famine, and claim they are hungry around me. It made me realise what I am like normally, I love food, I love flavour. I think thats one thing I really missed was cooking. I felt like I had taken away my favourite hobby and there was nothing for me to do when at home other than do work. And I have always taken this for granted, never truly appreciating how lucky I am to have all these ingredients to cook with and make meals that are yummy.
I have a whole new perception of food now, seeing it more for its necessity than enjoyment (not to say that I won't go straight back into enjoying my food!) and appreciating the value of half a cup of rice per serving... or less!
 Speaking of which, its strange how your body adapts!! On the first couple of days I was hungry, and wanted more than half a cup of rice. I would have my serving and then an hour or so later I would be hungry again. But as the week progressed my body sussed out what was going on and started releasing the energy slower rather than in bursts, So I was more than satisfied with my half a cup and as the week got further on I would have much less (possibly not a good thing)... as in half a cup per day.

I admit, this hasn't been fun. But it was never supposed to be. Hopefully this whole experience of mine will be able to help out those in East Africa by people sponsoring me :)

be the change you wish to see!!

No comments:

Post a Comment