Monday 12 September 2011

Day Two

Ok, so almost at the end of day two- still don't hate rice however I am craving food with yummy goodness but I'm not that hungry (at the moment).

I am starting to really become aware of how prevalent eating is within our culture... We eat to pass time or because our minds tell us to but do we actually need it? I was thinking that if we spent money on only necessary amounts of food- what we need rather than what we may want- we would have greater disposable incomes that could then allow us to give more generously to charity and aid that targets poverty and famine around the world.

I struggle to come to terms with us being able to live with all these luxuries like chocolate and ice-cream (totally not necessary for survival... which is why we eat to start with) when more than half of the human population are living in conditions where they don't know when their next 'meal' of rice or maize will be. I cannot fathom this uncertainty... I have always been able to have 3 meals a day and I can pick and choose what I have for them (to an extent).

So despite my desire for some yummy food and a HUGE cup of tea... I will power on. There is so much injustice in this world and I want to come to grips with how it feels to live a little bit more like the majority of human beings... the only difference is that I know when this will end for me and I can plan my first meal- sadly the 12million in the East of Africa at the moment don't have that luxury.


Being the change you wish to see is proving to be quite hard and its only day two... More emotionally that physically!

No comments:

Post a Comment